Sunday, April 4, 2010

Home


Today's Easter, and I just drove back to my apartment in Tuscaloosa from my parent's house in Gordo. I heard "The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert on the way home and it made me think. I used to hate that place, and now I go back every chance I get. It's funny how life and growing up does that to you. I always get this pain of loneliness and almost guilt when I'm driving back to Tuscaloosa. 


In high school all I wanted to do was leave, all I wanted to do was get the heck out of that town and never come back. Now all I want to do is go back, buy a little house, teach kindergarten and plant a garden. Is it that I'll always be dissatisfied with what I have or that I've experienced living in a dorm with 400 other girls within earshot and I just want some space. Yeah, I think that's it. 


My favorite lyrics of the song are: "I thought if I could touch this place or feel it/ The brokenness inside me might start healing/ Out here it's like I'm someone else/ I thought that maybe I could find myself..."
I'm not going to lie. It's been a really really rough past year. Things are slowly looking up, but it makes me wonder if the reason thing's haven't been going to great is because I'm too far from home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear (or read, rather) feedback..